Saturday, February 4, 2012

WHERE YOU WANT YOUR FOOD TO GO : TRASH (or) TUMMY


Friends this is my first blog in English and whom so ever reads this blog -  please forgive me for the grammar and typo mistakes.

Birthdays, marriage anniversary, promotion, appraisal, team outing, family outing so on.. And anything like that has  one thing in common. Yeah you are right. TREAT. ie selecting a decent to expensive restaurant for lunch/dinner and having exiting food for full stomach.  Though this is a  very common in corporate culture I just want to share my experience which may stick in the heart to someone, somewhere.


It was my friend’s birthday and as usual we selected one of the best restaurants nearby and decided to step in for the lunch. We all went by two wheeler and parked it in front of the restaurant which is an open space. When I got down from the bike with the thoughts of what to eat, suddenly a little girl pulled my shirt. She was half fainted with hand full of coloring books and ear buds.  She nearly begged me to get a book or buds saying she has not had the food from yesterday.  As I don’t have any need for coloring book or buds I ignored her and moved inside the restaurant with my friends.

We started browsing over the menu items and started placing order as if it was a competition with the other table on who’s bill amount is huge and the winner is going to date Angelina.  But when half of the dishes arrived, my stomach was full and I was loading more in the thought of not to waste.  And it was the time where me and my friends went to a stage that we can’t load anything more in the tummy.  All of a sudden the little girl saying that she has not had food from yesterday came before my eyes. I can see a two half bowl of biriyani, two naans, Subjis which is going to be in trash within few minutes. I just went to the server and asked if they can pack the remains in the plate. They readily said yes(Any decent restaurant will pack the remains if you ask for). They made a good package in seconds which will be full day meal for three of those little kids. I looked for the girl and handed over the packets and she got it with a big smile.

This may be a small incident but just think of the broader look. If one team treat - food waste from a small company  can serve a days meal for three kids,  how many kids can have their daily meal for all the  left over food by corporate teams who comes to that restaurant.  Imagine how it will be if all the treats happening over the restaurants in the city, state and  the whole country follows this.

 A small help that we can do as an Indian is to give up our silly prestige and ask the restaurant server for packing of the left-over food.

Finally are you going to pay bill for 
  • The food in the trash (OR)
  • The food that’s enough for your brother/sister for one whole day?
YOU DECIDE!

1 comment:

  1. Eye opening article! I really appreciate your helping tendency!

    ReplyDelete